Recruiting From Your Local Community
- february 23,2015
- Dave Rigby
- Improving Your Organisation
Local businesses can have a large and very positive impact in their local community. Get your reputation right, both as an employer, a provider of services / goods, and as a key member of the local community, and you will find you are never stuck for potential new staff.
Firstly, let’s address why you’d want people from the local community working for you:
- A workforce that doesn’t have to travel long distances to get to you will generally be happier and more productive, and always (mostly) be on time for work
- Less obviously, people living closer will generally have more job loyalty, as they will feel an attachment to, and sense of ownership of the business, simply because you are so local
- There is the potential to attract more customers locally through free promotion by local staff
- There will be less sick absence generally, simply because a workforce made up partly of a local community will tend not to want to let their neighbours down, and finally
- Your staff turnover levels will be lower, because many people like to work close to home. Once they are used to a very short commute, they are unlikely to want to give it up!
To boost your reputation within your community, and increase your chances of recruiting locally, there are a number of opportunities you can take advantage of, such as:
- Getting involved with local sports teams (sponsorships, etc.)
- Hosting charity / fundraising events
- Publicly supporting local charities, and
- Careers events in local schools and colleges
Whilst some of these ideas could incur a cost, the benefits will far outweigh the investment and you could find yourself with a much more profitable business overall!
If you're looking for staff and need help, why not give us a call - we're here from 9 til 5 on 01772 633854, or sign up for your free recruiter account at :https://ourbob.com/recruiter/register